This year, we were lucky enough to be invited to Leavenworth during the holiday season. Growing up, my family would frequent there every December for the annual Christmas Lighting. Since Jake and I have been married though, we haven't been there during the winter months, opting instead to go during the summer. Although I get nervous about the trek over there (snowy roads, etc.), I was filled with excitement and anticipation to take now MY kids and my husband. It's such a beautiful place and I have so many fun memories. I was a little worried about going the weekend right before Christmas, but in reality, it just forced me to get everything done ahead of time and really just enjoy the days leading up to Christmas. I couldn't think of a more perfect way. We arrived on Friday afternoon and once settled into our condo, the girls quickly found their ways outside. Kennedy was so excited to play in the snow, that's all she could talk about the whole day before and way over. Since Jake's brothers and their families didn't arrive until later, we were able to wonder the streets for a while and stop in a few of our favorite shops. The next day we bundled up (and I mean BUNDLED- it was COLD!), and all hit the town for a little shopping (just a little since all in all we had 6 adults and 5 kids to manuever!), and then hit the hill in town for some serious sledding. Of course, I should have known to not send Jake by himself with Kennedy, but as he would have it, he sent Kennedy whizzing down the hill all by herself on a round sled. As she comes twirling down the hill, she has this look of fear in her eyes. It was actually quite funny. Once she reached the bottom, she burst out in tears. BUT, have no fear, after that she was fear-LESS! I couldn't believe her. I couldn't hardly keep track of her she was zooming up and down that hill so fast. She loved keeping up with her cousins! And yes, even I ventured down the hill a few times. And of course, I bit it. I don't want to post those pictures! ;) Later in the evening we all enjoyed a nice dinner together and some time relaxing. Because it snowed the whole time we were there, and we were a little concerned about the drive home, we enjoyed a leisurely morning the next day and then headed home around noon. I have a feeling this will quickly be added to our list of "traditions" we do each year! We had a GREAT time!

6 comments:
TOO FUN! you got some GREAT pictures! you look BEAUTIFUL! how far in advance did you book your place?
Wow!!! I totally want to go for New Years now! Looks like you had an amazing time!
SOLD OUT! Bummer! It looks like they have some super cute hotels though! Where do you stay?
Sarah & Jake! I am glad you found us on here. It's so fun to see what people are up to. For instance I had no idea you married Jake Jackson, that's fantastic. You may have seen on the blog that we recently moved up to the Lakemont area in Bellevue. I was pleasantly suprized to see some familiar faces at our new ward including the Bumsteads, Nye's, and the Kobers! I didn't even recognize your Dad without his mustache. I guess it's been awhile. You also have some cute kids. They look about my kids age. I'll add you to our blog also!
Take Care,
Jake Klein
Okay... here's the low-down on Leavenworth... typically, for any kind of Christmas reservation, you have to make it a year early. Jake's brother made these reservations the year before. Sometimes though, if you go any other time other than the weekends, you can get reservations. For example, I called to get one night for my brother-in-law for his honeymoon getaway, and I was able to find a room on a Sunday night a week ahead of time. Of course, at that point, they have a no cancellation policy. Also, a lot of the places require a 3-night minimum. Some places even require you to stay there 3 separate nights during the year to even MAKE reservations. Our favorite place to stay is The Enzian. Right in town, walking distance to everything, raquetball court, indoor, outdoor pools and a FABULOUS breakfast! This place we stayed this year was new. A condo called Icicle Inn. It's part of the Best Western. They were really nice too. Good luck and have fun! It's one of our favorite places to visit.
So fun! I agree with Niki, you look beautiful...little miss snow bunny!
Post a Comment