
I find that some of the most tender moments I have with my two girls are when we are one-on-one. Tonight, I was feeling a little down, a little upset and a little lonely. Jake has been gone all day and still is not home. Contemplating my choices of either vegging out in front of a good show or taking a hot bath, I grabbed a handful of skittles and a good book and headed for the tub. My body was feeling tired and I knew it was just what I needed. Kennedy, having fallen asleep late in the day, was as wide awake then as she was when I put her down for bed at her usual bedtime. Not wanting to fight the issue, I welcomed her company while I soaked in my bubbles. Really just wanting to immerse myself in my book and let my thoughts go elsewhere, her sly smile and charming questions and conversations filled me with more joy than anything else I had planned tonight. She asked why I was taking a bath and I explained to her that sometimes it just feels good and that tonight in particular my back was hurting I hoped this would make it feel better. Her response to that was, "I can rub it better, mommy." Our conversation then was led to Christmas, Santa and a little of everything else thrown in between. As I type this entry, I see her sitting on her bed, her lamp lighting up the room with a pink hue and her gazing at her collection of princess books and you know what, I really don't care. For tonight, she made my night. I love you, sis.
9 comments:
Such a sweet, and very PRETTY little girl. :)
That's very sweet! Sorry Jake wasn't home. The boys were up working in the garage doing good deeds. And...thanks for reminding me to just chill sometimes. :)
Those tender moments are priceless!
What a sweet moment. I am, like you, surprised at how much the little ones can sooth and sweeten life. She will be a great big sister again soon.
That was really sweet Sarah. I know how hard it is being a single parent most of the time. Good for you for taking care of yourself and finding joy in the little things. It was a good reminder for me.
Just like her Mommy,tender,sweet, and independent. I know how hard it is when they work late it's hard. My heart goes out to you.
what a sweet story! Morley and I had a similar experience a few weeks ago while on a run together. We don't 'just talk' enough! Thanks for the reminder that sometimes the 'unplanned' things are more important!
Hope are feeling better all around today!
There are moments with our little ones that are so precious it seems they could shatter. It's like taking a picture with your heart. Funny how we assume they are oblivious to our stress and state of mind.
I love that little girl too!!
Post a Comment