Saturday, October 9, 2010

Trip to Utah- Part II

a continuation...

Nothing can quickly turn a great trip quickly into a bad trip more than car troubles. I don't know if it was pure denial that we thought our car would "magically" fix itself while we spent our time at Temple Square, but it didn't. It got worse. It was already a scorching 102 degrees out. Add no air-conditioning AND your heater blasting hot air and you're bound to get a grumpy wife, red-faced children and a frustrated husband. We drove around downtown SLC looking for a mechanic shop that was open and the closest thing we found was a small garage-looking shop. Thankfully, the men working were rather helpful, but adding that they could NOT fix our dilemma. They did direct us to a Chevrolet dealership close by and this was heaven-sent. It was by far the BEST dealership I've ever been to. Because I was so frustrated and upset I could barely even talk to the service agent for fear I'd burst into tears! Apparently he could sense how upset I was and took our car in right away. Not only did he squeeze it in between other cars, he gave us vouchers for free drinks at their burgers and shake diner located within the dealership. Phew! A few cold drinks later, we were cooled off and able to settle down. About an hour or so later, after a silly quick fix of our car's computer system, we were back on the road! We were so grateful it wasn't something more extreme, more expensive or take any longer.

Almost four hours later than we had anticipated, we arrived! It was so fantastic to see everyone and everyone was relieved we finally made it.

The next morning, a few of us rose early to hike a mountain trail we could see from the ranch. It was a spectacular morning and felt so good to start the day off right.

When we returned we had breakfast and the kids started on their morning crafts.

Afterwords, the kids could not wait to jump in the pool. We had a competitive 2-hour game of soccer as well. Boy, I was sore later!

For dinner that night, we had a traditional "All-American" meal.

The girls quickly excused themselves so they could have time to get ready for "Prom Night." All the little ladies looked so cute and they all LOVED getting pampered.

Prom. What a hoot! We all had so much fun dancing, laughing and being silly.

Although a little more tired the next morning, we still got up for our morning walk. We actually ended up walking close to 8 miles it was so peaceful and quiet. The kids loved doing the crafts again and running around in their new masquerade masks.

The afternoon was filled with games, a scavenger hunt and an intense game of volleyball.

That evening was spent hearing about all our ancestors and their lives and legacies. I am so blessed to have such an amazing family. What a family reunion!

4 comments:

The Haley Family said...

What a great reunion!!! I love the PROM night activity! Great idea with all of those granddaughters! I can't wait until we have that many cousins in my family!!!

Rachael said...

That is one amazing reunion! Looks like a blast!

Matt and Carla said...

Besides the car probs (although it sounds like you ran into some nice fixer upper men to take care of the issue) this reunion and family cabin you all stayed at in Utah looked like so much fun- good memories!

Balls Family said...

Looks like a ton of fun, I'll bet your kids LOVED it! I wish my family were as close as yours and we could have fun family reunions like that but we do pretty good with Ray's family. Hope all is well! Take care.