Mom's intuition. It's a good thing they say. And back on Saturday, January 28th, it was a good thing I listened to mine. I noticed the day before Crew seemed to be sleeping a lot more than normal. The next morning I started taking a lot more notice. He felt warm to me so I took his temperature- 101. I called my pediatrician and asked for his advice. He suggested I give him some Tylenol, let him sleep and made sure he was waking up for feedings. However, if his temperature continued to rise, to call him ASAP. Around 9:30 that night, after giving him another round of Tylenol, I checked his temp again- 102.5. I immediately phoned the pediatrician and he said to rush him to the ER. Jake was still at work, the girls were sleeping and I was panicking. I called our sweet friend who didn't even skip a beat when I asked her to come sit at the house until my MIL could come. I quickly got us ready and we headed for Swedish Hospital in Issaquah.
We arrived just before 11 pm. My pediatrician had phoned them ahead of time and they knew we were coming. Thank goodness it is fairly close and a fairly quiet hospital. They quickly started running an array of tests and firing off questions to me left and right. I was a mess and couldn't hold back the tears. They had to draw blood, give him an IV, a catheter, a batch of X-rays and a spinal tap. My poor baby was being poked and prodded everywhere!
Because Crew was younger than 2 months old (7 weeks) they ultimately had to admit us so they could monitor him for 48 hours and watch the bacterial cultures. I was not expecting that! Thankfully the doctors and nurses were incredible and we were blessed with the same ones the whole time we were there.
Crew was monitored 24/7 and hooked up to cords and IV's which made holding and carrying him difficult. He was a trooper though and loved having mommy all to himself the whole time.
Thankfully he tested negative for all bacterial infections, rotovirus, pertussis and RSV. On Tuesday morning, after being cleared by the doctor, we were finally discharged. We left not knowing what caused such a high fever, but we did get a much healthier and happier little boy in return.
Being back home never felt so good.




1 comment:
He is darling and I'm glad everything turned out okay. Man...those tricky kiddos keep us on our toes, don't they? Love you guys and loved reading all your new posts. Thank you for your friendship. :)
Post a Comment